Day 1....what have I gotten myself into?

Published by Melanie under on 9:12 PM
I just returned home from my first boot camp session...what have I gotten myself into?

We started the night with speed walking around the park, which is about 1/2 a mile. Immediately after we returned to the starting location, we were instructed to run the circumference. I thought to myself, "There is no way that I will be able to run for even a minute" but not wanting to be the only person unable to succeed, I pushed myself to maintain a rhythm and thought of Coleton's words to me as I left the house, "I can't believe that you're going to be skinny, Mom." Though I felt like I was going to pass out and like I couldn't breathe, I ran the whole distance, and I wasn't even the last to finish! I was so proud of myself and so tired I felt like crying, but no time.

We were allowed a quick sip of water and then went directly into stretches. I normally have good balance, but I was so tired and panting so hard I couldn't even stand on one leg! Tracy, the trainer, asked how I was doing, to which I replied, "My calves were burning" and she chuckled and said, "Oh, you're in trouble for tonight!" Great!!

After stretching, Tracy told us that we were going to love her because she had a new drill. The veterans of the class all let out a groan that scared me. Tracy proceeded to tell us that she had placed 6 cones on the curb as markers. At each marker, we were to do 40 reps of "up the curb", then 40 reps down the curb, followed by 10 push-ups...lather, rinse & repeat 6 times. After the 6th marker, we were then to work our way back DOWN the curb, 40 reps up, 40 reps down, and 10 squat jumps. A squat jump, I learned, is when you squat as low as you can, keeping your back straight, and then jump back up. Easy you say?! Go try it! After our 12th marker (6+6=12) we were instructed to start over (can you hear the groans?), but now we were to do 20 up, 20 down, followed by 10 jumping jacks. Needless to say, I threw up about 3/4 of the way through and then again when we were done. Tracy says "It's not uncommon...drink smaller sips of water."

Now, I completed 14 markers, so let's see how many stairs that is equivalent to:

40 up * 12 = 480 + (20*2) = 520 stairs
40 down * 12 = 480 + (20*2) = 520 stairs
GRAND TOTAL OF STAIRS = 1,040 stairs...without a break!

Plus
60 push ups
60 squat jumps
20 jumping jacks

And, as if that wasn't enough, once we were done with that, we close with butts & abs...

We were given numerous exercises to do at our own pace and duration. When you can't do anymore, you have to shout out, "THIS FEELS AWESOME" and do 10 more before stopping. Everyone of those women were drenched with sweat and so tired, but still pushed on, which motivated and compelled me to as well.

At the end of the night, I was dragging...barely walking and using every ounce of my remaining energy to stand up, walk to my car, and drive home. I was soaked. Soaked doesn't even do me justice. I got home and Elmo said, "Holy cow Hun. You're soaked. Do not get in bed like that." I forced myself to the bathroom and started a bath...I'm not sure I would have made it through a shower at this point. The simple task of undressing was a chore in itself...washing my hair, my shoulders ached for the push ups, my calves and thighs burned from the night, and my abs were sore from the last exercises. I was already dreading tomorrow night, knowing that I started tonight without any aching muscles, but tomorrow I would be sore and worked even harder.

What have I gotten myself into?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Spring

My Blog Stockers

Support System