Day 16...week 6

Published by Melanie under on 7:28 AM


I am so incredibly proud of Paige.

I have been getting concerned with Paige's weight lately. I know that she has a lot of things working against her...her genetics in particular...and I want to make sure that I teach her proper eating & exercising habits NOW so that she has them when she'll need them in the future.

It's such a touchy subject...trying to teach good eating habits without making her feel like she's fat. She is already made fun of in school because she has a belly, and any time I try to casually steer her from a fatty snack to a healthy one, she says, "I know...I'm fat." I DO NOT want her to get a complex so young about her body or self-esteem. Luckily for me, there is an easy solution that will make her feel so great about herself...joining me every night for Boot Camp.

She's been begging to come with me, but until now I have elected NOT to let her come for a few reasons:
1. it runs past her current bed time
2. when I'm working out I'm so exhausted that I wouldn't be able to watch her
3. when I DID take her, she gave up so quickly

Elmo and I discussed it, and we agreed that ANY amount of physical exercise was better than none and worth far more than the extra 30 minutes of sleep she would be missing.

When I told Paige that we decided she could come every night (she's been begging to come) IF she PROMISED not to give up and to try her best. She agreed...and last night she did just that.

Paige started the night super charged...when we did our walk/run, she was 1st in the pack. Not wanting my daughter to show me up...I was right beside her. We finished 1st, and all the ladies were saying, "Whoa Mama! What got into you? You should bring your daughter more often!"

Having our self-esteem lifted, we stretched & then started the night's routine. The name?

Don't You Wish Your Girlfriend Was Hot Like Me?

.....I told you Tracy names these according to what ever song is on at the time!

Anyway...the night went as follows:

Skip for 30 seconds...skip backwards for 30 seconds.. repeat 3 times

Side shuffle 30 sec each side...repeat 3 times

30 JJ, run to line 30 JJ run back

1 min lunges, 1 min v push ups...repeat 3 times

1 min squat jumps, 1 min fast feet...repeat 3 times

1 min backward lunges, 1 min angel wings...repeat 2 times

1 min leap frogs, 1 min reg push ups...repeat 2 times

1 min jump turns, 1 min arm circles...repeat 2 times

1 min burpies, 1 min plank...repeat 2 times

1 min knee taps, 1 min spiderman lunges...repeat 2 times

Now, let me briefly explain what a SPIDERMAN lunge is...

first, get into a plank position
bring your right foot to your right hand...like you're scaling a wall (like spiderman)
bring your right foot back into plank position
bring your left foot to your left hand
bring your left foot back into plank position

Doesn't that sound like fun!! It's NOT. My inner thighs are sore!

Butts & Abs:

fire hydrants
leg lifts...1 min each side
laying down toe touches
big flutter kicks

Now, back to why I am SO INCREDIBLY PROUD OF PAIGE....she didn't quit at all last night. I could tell she was so tired, but she never gave up. She was such a trooper. I told her that she did amazing, and that I was so proud of her. She was glowing. She was so proud of herself and said, "I'm not going to stop at all tomorrow Mom." I told her that if she needed to stop to catch her breath there was nothing wrong with that. I don't want you to pass out or hurt yourself. I am very excited to see the impact this will have on her, as well as our relationship. This, for us both, is a bonding time, not strictly a workout. She feels so special that she's allowed to come.

This morning when Paige called me to let me know that they were at the bus stop, she said (in a super happy voice), "Bye Mom, I love you. And I'll see you when you get home and I'll be all ready for tonight's practice."

I am so thankful for the way things just seem to work out...how I am constantly reminded that God has a plan for us all. My life has completely changed by joining this boot camp, which I would NEVER have known about if I hadn't gone ONLINE (rather than to the actual office) to sign the kids up for their winter sports. Because of Boot Camp

I have a much higher self esteem
I am much more healthy than I was just a month ago
I am strengthening my bond with Paige
I am SO MUCH less stressed because I have ME time
I am losing weight
I have gained friends, of whom are so incredibly supportive and inspirational
I am so much happier

Honestly, who could ask for a better impact than that?




2 comments:

Mom said... @ October 28, 2008 at 10:05 AM

I think it's wonderful that you are able to workout with Paige and that you can use it as a bonding experience. It's a great thing to be able to teach her the right way to eat and if you indulge a little too much; what she can do to get back on track. That being said, I do have to tell you that a lot of girls in their "tweens" go thru a chubby stage. Kaitlyn is there and so is Taylor. I don't think you should be overly concerned about her weight right now. She may decide to be a kid and not want to go from time to time and that's ok.
Love you guys!
Mom

Anonymous said... @ October 28, 2008 at 3:39 PM

Mel that was such a touching blog, I love hearing that you and Paige are so happy I am so proud of both of you and know what a daily battle it can be to push yourself to do what you don't necessarily feel like doing, but isn't the "feel good" feeling at the end so worth it? KEEP IT UP GIRLS! please tell Paige I'm so proud of her.

Love sis

Post a Comment

Spring

My Blog Stockers

Support System